A Post Graduate in Vocal Classical Music from Mumbai University, Sharmishtha Basu came up as a promising vocalist under the valuable tutelage of Pt.Narayanrao Bodas. She has been the University 2nd Rank Holder for B.F.A in Vocal Classical Music. Presently she is training under Vidushi Tulika Ghosh (D/o Pt.Nikhil Ghosh, founder of Sangit Mahabharati, Juhu, Mumbai). She has also trained for Light Music under Shri Gautam Mukherjee and Shri Shurjo Bhattacharya.
She has performed at various places all over India, and has enthralled the audience with her mellifluous voice. A talented & versatile singer, Sharmishtha’s genre of singing is wide & her musical performances range from traditional semi-classical compositions to geet, ghazals, bhajans, folk and Bollywood songs. She has accompanied renowned classical vocalists, like Pt.Narayanrao Bodas, Pt.C.R.Vyas, Pt.Ajay Pohankar, Pt.Jagdish Prasad, Smt.Devaki Pandit, Smt.Aarti Ankalikar, Smt Shruti Sadolikar to name a few.
- She is a Performing Artist (vocal) and has given numerous stage performances country-wide which included semi-classical songs, ghazals, devotional songs & film songs.
- She has recorded songs for private albums & regional films in various languages including Assamese, Bengali, Sanskrit, Rajasthani, Bhojpuri, Gujrati, Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil and Telegu.
- She has worked in some of Mumbai’s reputed recording/dubbing studios as music supervisor & on-site vocal trainer.
- She has been teaching/mentoring many students privately, and is also working with many NGOs coaching/training underprivileged children in music.
- She is a Certified Music Therapist (with distinction) from Chennai School of Music Therapy (affiliated with Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, Puducherry).
- She is working with NGOs for cancer patients (survivors and palliative care), extensively since the past 9 years, in the area of healing and therapy with music.
- She is a Graded singer for Marathi Sugam Sangeet with All India Radio, Mumbai.
- She has been a Casual Announcer with Vividh Bharati, and “Vani” certificate holder from Akashwani, Delhi.
- She hosted many popular programs in her tenure at Vividh Bharati, she continues to compeer/host programs, and pursues voice dubbing as a parallel hobby.
- Composing tunes, audio/video editing, music arrangement, lyric-writing, blog-writing, content-writing, are some other dimensions of her creative persona.
- She has been participating as well as conceptualizing and coordinating various vocal/instrumental/dance concerts and theme-based music shows.
Sharmishtha has a passion for classical dance & has to her credit of being a Sr.Diploma in Kathak Dance from Prayag University, Allahabad. She has also learnt Bharatanatyam from Guru Smt.Vasantasena Srinivasan. She is now learning Oddisi from Guru Smt. Shubhada Varadkar.
Hailing from a family which did have musical background but primarily consisted of academicians and engineers, Sharmishtha initially studied with Honours in Physics. She worked for a reputed automation firm & taught in private institutions in Mumbai. She also worked as music teacher in a reputed higher secondary school. But her interests soon waned as she realized that music was her sole purpose in life, and she took up music as a full-time profession.
Sharmishtha holds a vision to spread music in its pure form and pass on to the coming generations what she has received from her Gurus. Passionate and devoted to her subject, she has committed herself to music, and has been pursuing a vibrant and fulfilling career since the past two decades.